Boys Hope Girls Hope
Hope Academy, a signature program of Boys Hope Girls Hope San Francisco Bay Area, is a non-profit, coed, academic and life-learning after-school program that serves middle school, high school and college scholars. Operating primarily on campus at Archbishop Riordan High School in San Francisco – one of our long-standing academic partners – scholars receive academic support and tutoring, service learning and career exploration, college-bound literacy and college application, tuition assistance and financial support.
Services for Middle School scholars
- Academic support
- Supplemental tutoring
- Study skills development
- Service-learning and early career awareness
- Cultural enrichment
- College-bound literacy through Boys Hope Girls Hope’s College Road Curriculum
- Early college awareness and planning
- Mentor teams
Services for High School scholars
- Academic support
- Life skills workshops and coaching
- Career exploration through shadowing, interest assessments, and interviews
- College search process
- College visits and regional college road trip
- College application and decision-making support
- Internships and employment experience (Juniors and Seniors)
- College-bound literacy
- Civic engagement
Services for Families
BHGH offers support services for parents and families to help them help their young scholars at home. Services include workshops on navigating the education system, how to help students get ready for college, how to support successful study habits, and the basics of how to apply
Hope Academy typically accepts new applicants in January and March.
Applicants must demonstrate proven need for financial support, and meet 4 of the 5 requirements below:
- Aptitude–Applicants should be performing at a 3.0 GPA or above with definite college potential.
- Have learned a language other than English as their first language
- Family commitment to a partnership geared toward child’s success
- Motivation–Applicant demonstrates a high level of motivation, commitment to education, and a desire to participate in BHGH programs
- The first in their family to attend a four-year college in the U.S.
If you have questions, please contact Hope Academy Program Manager Perry Im at Pim@bhgh.org or 415-657-9302.